Police Officer Shot Multiple Times In Chicago While Responding To A Shooting

Chicago (September 26, 2021)—The Third District officer was shot while responding to a shooting that left a man dead and a teenager wounded. Two people were in custody for questioning Saturday night.

A Chicago police officer was released from a hospital Saturday after being shot as she rushed toward the scene of a “massive exchange of gunfire” in South Shore the night before, police officials said.

The 30-year-old officer was on patrol late Friday when she heard the gunfire and rushed to the 1900 block of East 72nd Place, where she saw a person lying in the middle of the street, police said.

The officer, who had been on the force for two years, was getting out of her squad car to render aid when additional shots were fired, striking her in the legs, Police Supt. David Brown said.

She got back into her squad car and another officer took her to University of Chicago Medical Center, Brown said.

The wounded officer radioed to her colleagues early Saturday morning, saying: “I just want to say thank you to everybody that responded, and I’ll be back soon. Have a good night, y’all be safe.”

Brown said he spoke with the wounded officer at her hospital bedside Saturday morning.

“One of the things that she conveyed to me is that she didn’t get an opportunity to apply a tourniquet to one of the wounded men out there,” Brown said. “It’s just, you know, extraordinary commitment, extraordinary police work. This city should be proud of its police officers.”

She was the 12th Chicago police officer to be wounded by gunfire this year, according to Brown. At least 34 other officers had been shot at during the same period, he added.

“Those are astounding numbers and illustrate the dangers our officers face day-to-day, but also illustrates the bravery, courage, commitment [and] dedication to serve and protect the people of Chicago,” Brown said.

Last month, Chicago Police Officer Ella French was killed and her partner, Carlos Yanez, was seriously wounded in a shooting during a traffic stop in West Englewood.

“We’re still grieving,” Brown said. “That’s why I always try to convey how brave and courageous it is to be responding to a shots fired call, hear gunshots, and run toward the gunshots, where most people would run away and avoid being anywhere near gunshots, where our officers consistently respond to these calls, even given the circumstances of our grief after losing Ella.”

The initial shooting Friday night that drew the officer left an 18-year-old man dead and a 15-year-old boy wounded, police said.

About 11 p.m., a 25-year-old man and a woman were returning to their home in the block with a pizza when they were confronted on their back steps by the two teenagers, Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan said.

The older man then exchanged gunfire with the two younger individuals, Deenihan said.

The 18-year-old was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at University of Chicago Medical Center, police said. His name has not been released. The 15-year-old was shot in the legs and was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

Investigators recovered two handguns from the scene and also recovered a rifle while executing a search warrant, Deenihan said.

Two suspects were in custody for questioning Saturday night, according to Deenihan, who said both have a criminal records. He declined to give more details since they haven’t been charged with a crime.

“The detective investigation… it’s pretty active and ongoing, and we’re still kind of combing through video and looking for other other evidence,” Deenihan said.

Police are asking anyone with information about the incident to contact Area 1 detectives at 312-747-8380.


Source: Chicago Sun wrote the original article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *