NEW YORK (April 6, 2022)—Supporters of Donald Trump are urging Elon Musk to reinstate the ex-president’s Twitter account after Tesla’s billionaire boss became the social network’s biggest shareholder and got a seat on Twitter’s board.
“Twitter says it has no plans to reinstate former President Donald Trump‘s account despite Elon Musk vowing to ‘make significant improvements’ to the social media platform after becoming the company’s largest shareholder and a member of its board of directors, wrote the Daily News UK.
Twitter is committed to impartiality in the development and enforcement of its policies and rules,’ the company told DailyMail.com on Tuesday. ‘Our policy decisions are not determined by the Board or shareholders, and we have no plans to reverse any policy decisions.’
‘As always our Board plays an important advisory and feedback role across the entirety of our service. Our day to day operations and decisions are made by Twitter management and employees,’ the company added.
Shares of Twitter rose by more than 27% in pre-market trading on Tuesday — the second day in a row that the company has seen its stock price surge in the wake of Musk’s acquisition of 73.5 million shares.
Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal also announced on Tuesday that Musk was joining Twitter’s board of directors.
“Looking forward to working with Parag & Twitter board to make significant improvements to Twitter in coming months!” Musk tweeted in response to Agrawal’s announcement.
Trump was banned from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and all other large social media platforms following the Jan. 6, 2021, rioting at the US Capitol. Trump has since launched a social media platform of his own, Truth Social, but it has been beset by technical glitches and departures of key executives.
- Conservatives are calling for Donald Trump’s reinstatement on Twitter
- The move comes after Tesla CEO Elon Musk became the social media platform’s largest shareholder and a member of its board of directors
- Musk currently holds a 9.2 percent stake in the company and has secured a seat on the board until Twitter’s 2024 annual shareholders meeting
- Musk, who has been highly critical of Twitter and its policies, said he is excited to ‘make significant improvements to Twitter in coming months!’
- While Musk has not spoken about any rule changes he might push, Republicans speculate he will try to make the platform ‘adhere to free speech principles’
- Twitter said it has ‘no plans to reverse any policy decisions’ and is ‘committed to impartiality in the development and enforcement of its policies and rules’
Dear Elon Musk, bring back President Donald J. Trump.— Lord Julio Gonzalez – juliogonzalez.com (@TaxReformExpert) April 5, 2022
Source: New York Post contributed to the article.