UKRAINE (May 2, 2022)– Ukraine’s human rights chief alleged that citizens who were forced across the border and into Russia by President Vladimir Putin’s forces endured torture and other forms of abuse.
After recently returning from captivity at a prison in the Russian city of Kursk, Ukrainians detailed allegations of “humiliation and inhumane conditions,” the country’s ombudswoman for human rights Lyudmyla Denisova said in a Facebook post on Sunday.
Denisova said the Ukrainians came back with sepsis, severe wounds, and amputated limbs and toes due to frostbite. She said the Russians filled people’s boots with water — then made them put the boots back on after — and forced them to lie on the ground in the cold.
“Interrogations took place two or three times a day, after which the men were severely beaten and later forced to sign documents stating that they had been treated well,” Denisova said, adding that the Ukrainians were forced to learn Russian patriotic songs and perform them to the guards.
Ukraine has previously accused Putin’s forces of abducting its citizens — including children — and forcing them across the border into Russia.
A handful of prisoner exchanges have been facilitated between the two sides since Russia invaded Ukraine in late February. At one point, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy even offered Putin a captured pro-Kremlin oligarch in exchange for kidnapped Ukrainians — though Moscow denied the request.
Ukrainian civilians have also detailed reports of Russian “filtration camps” across the border for people who were forcibly relocated by Putin’s forces.
Meanwhile, the international community has continued to slam Russia’s apparent disregard for human rights during its unprovoked campaign against its neighbor. Thousands of civilians have been killed so far, many from indiscriminate shelling and targeted executions.
“Our work to date has detailed a horror story of violations perpetrated against civilians,” UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said in late March.
“Sergey Kolotsey, commander of a Russian National Guard unit allegedly killed four unarmed men on March 18 and tortured another civilian on March 29, according to Prosecutor General Iryna Venediktova,” tweeted the Kyiv Independent.
⚡️ Ukraine identifies first suspect in Bucha massacre.— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) May 2, 2022
Sergey Kolotsey, commander of a Russian National Guard unit allegedly killed four unarmed men on March 18 and tortured another civilian on March 29, according to Prosecutor General Iryna Venediktova.
Source: Business Insider wrote the original article and Bee News Daily contributed.