Israel: Israeli Security Forces Conducting Large Manhunt After Two Palestinians Killed, Three Israeli Civilians In City of Elad

ISRAEL (May 6, 2022)—Israeli security forces are continuing a large manhunt after two Palestinians killed three Israeli civilians in the city of Elad.

Police identified the two suspects 19-year-old Assad al-Rafai and 20-year-old Tzabahi Abu Shakir, both from the Jenin area in the West Bank. Security services released their pictures and have asked for the public’s help in locating them, indicating that the two might still be in Israeli territory.

The three victims in the deadly attack were identified as 40-year-old Yonatan Habakuk, a father of five, 40-year-old Boaz Gol, a father of five and 35-year-old Oren Ben Yiftach a father of six from Lod. Together they left behind 16 children.

Seven other people were injured in the attack, one in critical condition and another in serious condition. Beilinson hospital said that a man in his 20s was still in life-threatening condition with head wounds. Another person was moderately wounded, a fourth was lightly wounded and the rest were lightly injured or suffering from shock.

Seven other people were injured in the attack, one in critical condition and another in serious condition. Beilinson hospital said that a man in his 20s was still in life-threatening condition with head wounds. Another person was moderately wounded, a fourth was lightly wounded and the rest were lightly injured or suffering from shock.

One eyewitness told Israeli media that he fought off the attackers by throwing hot cholent (slow-cooked stew with meat and beans) on one of them.

“We were eating cholent in the car and the terrorists, carrying huge axes, came on both sides of the car. My friend threw his boiling hot cholent on one of the terrorists and he got burned and stopped. In the meantime, I grabbed the end of his ax and managed to push him away,” he was quoted as saying.

Following the attack, Prime Minister Naftali Bennett met with senior officials of the defense establishment for a situational assessment.

“Our enemies have embarked on a murderous campaign against Jews, wherever they are. Their purpose is to break our spirit but they will fail,” said Bennett on Friday morning. “We will lay our hands on the terrorists and on those who support them. And they will pay the price.”

Defense Minister Benny Gantz met with IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kohavi and decided to extend the closure that was imposed on the West Bank and Gaza Strip for Memorial and Independence Day until Sunday. It was also decided to reinforce troops in the West Bank even further.

According to Palestinian reports, the father of one of the attackers was arrested by Israeli security forces.

The attack in Elad marks the sixth deadly attack since the end of March that has killed 18 Israelis. 

In an attempt to bring the current wave of violence to an end, the IDF has reinforced troops in the West Bank by 12 battalions for a total of 25 battalions. Last week the IDF announced the decision to recruit six reserve battalions in the coming weeks after a situational assessment.

The huge boost in troops allows the military to carry out offensive operations in the West Bank and deploy troops along the security fence in order to prevent Palestinians from crossing into Israel through holes in the fence.

The preliminary investigation into the attack has found that the two terrorists were illegal workers who entered Israel through a hole in the fence. According to Channel 13, the defense establishment believes that the two knew the city of Elad and may have even worked there.

France President Emmanuel Macron tweeted “While celebrating the anniversary of their state’s independence, Israelis were once again struck by a despicable terrorist attack yesterday in El’ad. Our thoughts are with the victims and their families.”

___________________

Update: May 6, 2022 11:15 EST

Former Israeli’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a statement “On behalf of all the citizens of Israel, I send my heartfelt condolences to the families of those killed in last night’s deadly attack in Elad: the late Yonatan Habakkuk, the late Boaz Gol and the late Oren Ben Yiftach. We all pray for the peace of the wounded who are fighting for their lives. May the memory of the murdered be blessed and preserved in our hearts always.”

No photo description available.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken tweeted “We vehemently condemn the terrorist attack in Israel today. Our hearts are with the victims and the loved ones of those killed. May the memories of those who passed be a blessing..

Source:

Featured Photo: ISRAEL POLICE

Photo: Israel Police/Composite image by Jerusalem Post Staff

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.