(March 1, 2021)—today White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas held the daily briefing.
- DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said, “We will dig out of the cruelty of the past administration and we will rebuild our nation’s asylum system.”
- DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas added, “It takes time to build out of the depths of cruelty that the administration before us established.”
- Mayorkas, said “To put it succinctly, the prior administration dismantled our nation’s immigration system in its entirety.”
- Mayorkas added “I learned that we did not have the facilities available or equipped to administer the humanitarian (welfare) laws that our Congress passed years ago. ” He added “We did not have the personnel, policies, procedures, or training to administer those laws. Quite frankly, the entire system was gutted.”
- The Secretary added, “in addition, they tore down the Central American Minors program that allowed children to access laws of protection without having to take the perilous journey north. They cut off funding to the Northern Triangle countries of Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras. No planning had been done to protect the frontline personnel of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and other frontline personnel that address the needs of individuals coming to our border. Contracts had been entered that were unlawful or against the interests of the United States Department of Justice. And that’s just the tip of it.”
Source: White House transcript.