Two jurors excused in Derek Chauvin’s trial after expressing the Floyd’s settlement affected their ability to be impartial

MINNESOTA (March 17, 2021)—today a jury was dismissed from the Derek Chauvin’s trial–citing the George Floyd’s $27 million wrongful death family’s settlement. The jurors selected so far in Derek Chauvin’s trial in the death of George Floyd are unnamed and unseen on camera, but we do know basic details about them.

As of Wednesday, four men and three women have been chosen to serve on the jury during the trial in Minneapolis. Of the seven jurors, four are White, two are Black and one is mixed race, according to how the court says the jurors identified themselves.
Two people, a Hispanic man and a White man, who had initially been selected to be on the jury were excused on Wednesday after they told the court mid-trial news of Minneapolis’ wrongful death settlement with Floyd’s estate affected their ability to be impartial.
 
“I think that that sticker price obviously shocked me and kind of swayed me a little bit,” one juror who was excused said in a Zoom hearing when questioned by Judge Peter Cahill.
 
The jury selection process, which began March 9 at the Hennepin County Government Center, will continue until the court decides on 14 people — 12 jurors and two alternates, Hennepin County Court director of communications Spenser Bickett told CNN.
Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, died on May 25, 2020, after Chauvin, a White former Minneapolis Police officer, placed his knee on Floyd’s neck for an extended period while Floyd pleaded, “I can’t breathe.”  Floyd’s final moments were captured on video by a bystander, and his death led to widespread protests against police brutality and racism under the banner Black Lives Matter as well as incidents of unrest and looting.
 
Chauvin has pleaded not guilty to second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter charges. He has also pleaded not guilty to third-degree murder, which was reinstated in the case  on March 11.
 
Opening statements are expected to start no earlier than March 29, followed by testimony that could take about four weeks.
 
 
Source: Bee News Daily and CNN contributed to the article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *