LONDON (July 1, 2021)— Prince William and Prince Harry released a joint statement in honor of their Mother’s 6oth birthday.
“Today, on what would have been our Mother’s 60th birthday, we remember her love, strength and character – qualities that made her a force for good around the world, changing countless lives for the better.
The statue had been covered in a dark green cloth as the brothers arrived – they were chatting to one another as they did so.
The Sunken Garden was tranquil and calm and only Diana’s sons, her siblings and those in charge of the statue’s design were there to watch as the brothers pulled away the cover.
Kensington Palace said that William and Harry wanted the statue to “recognize her positive impact in the UK and around the world” and they also hope it will “help future generations understand the significance of her place in history”.
Watching it happen were Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, and her sisters, Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Lady Jane Fellowes.
The redesigned Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace. Credit: PA
With the short and private event over – where only the very minimal number of cameras were present – Kensington Palace said that the brothers hoped the statue captures their mother’s “warmth, elegance and energy” as well as the “impact she had on so many people”.
When it opens to the public, people will be able to see the statue for themselves and remember the contribution this woman made to the country and to the Royal Family in her 36 years of life.
Prince Harry arrived in England last week to quarantine in time for the statutes revealing.
Source: ITV News